One of the most controversial weight loss topics is caffeine. According to some, it is a great way to lose weight but others argue that it does quite the opposite of that it can make you gain weight instead. They argue that it is just another glucose delivery mechanism. So what is the real truth could it be that every time you take a cup of coffee you are helping your body shed calories or are you actually gaining them? Because caffeine is a popular ingredient in fat burners we decided to take a closer look at it. This article is about caffeine weight loss and caffeine side effects. It will also cover other benefits that you may get from taking caffeine.
How Does Caffeine Work For Weight Loss?
Caffeine is a naturally occurring compound that is common in coffee, teas, cocoa, chocolate, soft drinks and other products that we consume daily. Caffeine has a very specific effect on the body when ingested it causes stimulation by acting on the central nervous system. It will make you more alert. If taken in excess it can increase your heart rate, your temperature, blood pressure, blood sugar and many other bodily functions.
As a fat burner, caffeine acts in several ways:
The first is that because it stimulates the central nervous system it sends a message to fat cells, telling them to break down and dissolve. Although you may not achieve significant weight loss research has shown that there is some.
It also increases the production of epinephrine. This is the hormone that sends messages to fat cells and instructs them to break down. The more epinephrine your body produces the more weight you are likely to lose.
It increases the metabolic rate by about 10% which helps to burn fat even when you are resting.
The important thing to note is that although you may see some weight loss in the initial months of caffeine consumption, you will eventually develop a tolerance for it and your body will not react. Some people counter this by increasing the amount of caffeine they consume but this can be dangerous to health.
Other Health Benefits of Caffeine:
- Other than just keeping you alert and in good shape caffeine has additional benefits including:
- Research at Johns Hopkins and also in Japan has showed that caffeine has a significant effect on memory.
- When combined with carbohydrates it is a great way to boost glycogen levels after exercising.
- It can be used as an enema to detoxify the liver.
- There have been some studies that show that caffeine supplements can induce hair growth for those who are balding.
- Taking caffeine right after exercise can reduce muscle pain by as much as 50%.
- It can protect you from a range of diseases including Alzheimers, eye cataracts, cancer and more.
- It has been shown that men who take caffeine on a regular basis has higher levels of semen and it is also of better quality. In addition to that, they lower the risk of erectile dysfunction as they age.
- If you are a woman who suffers from the irritating condition called tinnitus you should try taking caffeine on a regular basis it has been shown to reduce the ringing.
- Reduce your chances of kidney stones by taking coffee on a regular basis.
As you can see, there are a lot of caffeine related health benefits but it should be noted that the concentration of the caffeine that is consumed also makes a difference. In addition to that, some of the benefits were derived when caffeine was applied topically such as on the scalp for hair growth.
Caffeine Side Effects
If you are considering using coffee for weight loss you should know that there are some side effects to taking too much caffeine. Some people have reported:
- It can affect bowel habits and cause constipation.
- You may also experience heartburn.
- It can lead to loss of sleep and even restlessness.
- Too much caffeine can lead to lowered cognition
- Sweats and tremors are also reported by some.
- When you stop taking caffeine after a long period you will experience caffeine withdrawal symptoms which include headaches, irritability, nervousness, tension in the muscles and more.
Don’t Use Caffeine If…
There are some for whom caffeine consumption is dangerous. Do not take coffee, caffeine loaded products or caffeine fat burners if you suffer from depression and anxiety, insomnia, heart problems, high blood pressure, stomach ulcers and kidney disease.
Caffeine is something that most people consume every day. In fact, caffeine is the most popular drug on planet Earth. Although it may be effective in burning fat it is probably not the best way to go for those who are seriously overweight. Other than that, you should make sure that you consume it in moderate amounts as too much can have unpleasant effects.