One of the top excuses for not working out is, you guessed it, being too busy. Maybe you’ve used that excuse yourself in an attempt to justify a lack of commitment to getting and staying fit. Or maybe you literally are short on time. But when it comes down to it, the reality is that we will all make time for the things that matter most.
While we’re rapidly consuming media (and contributing to the infobesity epidemic), we’re also seeing poorer health and rising scale numbers. Only about 30% of American adults meet the federal government guidelines for healthy living—cardio 30 minutes a day, and weight training a few times a week. And even fewer exceed them. The U.S. Department of Health Services revealed that only 5% of American’s exceed those guidelines.
We know you’re busy. But if you need to make the most of your time, try these workout hacks to make your fitness fit with your life, and be healthier for it.
Clothing that doubles for work and play
Today, there are more companies that are making clothing that enables you to take your workouts on the go, no matter where you are. Athleisure is quickly taking over the country, and there are more options than boring yoga pants alone. Athleisure attire combines the look of business casual and fitness attire for a thoroughly comfortable garment that you’ll love to wear. In 2015, sales of Athleisure wear had risen 12%–and the cultural phenomenon doesn’t look like it’s going away anytime soon, especially considering Millennials’ love for all-in-one fashion and comfort that fits with their lives. Performance elements, like stretch, moisture-wicking, ventilation and odor-free are key for going through the day (and working up a sweat) in a streamlined, comfortable way. Check out these must-have athleisure pieces to get you in the mood for fitness in a snap.
- Lululemon Nonstop Blazer: Professional yet functional. This material provides four-way stretch for flexibility and is water repellant for working out in the rain.
- RYU TecLayr Everywear Pant: They’re tailored for the chic office look, and comfortable enough to wear around the house or for your next sweat sesh. Don’t let the fashionable look fool you. The lightweight, moisture-wicking material makes them great for your work to gym routine.
- QORtec Seamless Polo SS: Harness the classic, sporty polo look in a super functional office to gym style. With moisture-wicking elements and mesh side and lower back panels for greater ventilation, this slim style will get you out the door and sweating hard in no time at all.
- Dressy Yoga Pants: The soft twill woven pants give you the stretch and comfort you need for your workouts, and the sleek, tailored look of dress pants. These zip-free, tummy-control pants add the chic look of pressed leg creases in front and back.
- All day active sleeveless dress: This comfortable, stretchy dress can go from work attire to the walking trails (or wear over shorts or leggings at the gym). It’s made of polyester and spandex for plenty of stretch. Quick-dry, moisture-wicking technology keeps you cool and comfortable—and moving fast.
- Mellow short sleeve tee: Classy and breathable design for the office and your next yoga or weight-lifting session.
HIIT workouts that meet your workout goals in a snap
High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is becoming all the rage because it pushes people to their limits in short intervals of time, forcing their bodies to burn more calories to meet the growing demands. The workouts can vary from a 1:1 work/rest ratio to 1:4 work/rest ratio. HIIT workouts like Tabata torch massive calories in only 4 minutes.
That said, HIIT is a super efficient way of getting a great workout. But it will also enable you to burn more fat, strengthen your heart, build and define your muscles, slow the aging process and increase your metabolism. And because these HIIT workouts are seriously fast, you can fit them into your life every day. Want to get started now? Check out this fast 10-minute workout for the benefits of a 30-minute workout, or this calorie-busting routine in a bite-size workout.
Functional workouts that give you the strength that counts in life
You might wonder what the point of bicep curls are when it doesn’t seem they have any practical application to your desk job or your goals. But fitness isn’t just about getting ripped. It’s about strengthening yourself for the practical movements you already do everyday.
Functional fitness training gets you in shape for life. That is, it trains the muscles you use every day to work together to give you the ability to do what you do better, and design a higher quality of life. Whether carrying groceries, playing with the kids, tossing a basketball or swinging a baseball bat—functional fitness preps you to deal with whatever life throws your way. Try this 3-day functional fitness routine to get you ready for life.
By taking some simple steps, you can amp yourself up by bridging the gap between fitness and the rest of your life. If you’re looking for some additional nutrient boosts, check out reviews of top protein powders to get your day (and workout) going strong.